Friday, February 6, 2015

January Portoflio and Net Worth Update




Well the Seahawks didn't win...what a range of emotions on Sunday. But life goes on. Today's post is all about showing a snapshot of my current financial position as well as major changes to the portfolio.

Buys/Sells:
Surprisingly I had two purchases this month.This is the first time in a long while that I have been so eager to deploy capital.

I purchased 34 shares of HP on January 7th @ 59.268. Will I didn't buy at any local dip, my purchase was after a monumental slide that started in August. But Helmerich & Payne has recovered in the last couple of days so I'll have to reevaluated before making another purchase here.

My second purchase of the month was 35 shares of NOV on January 12th @ 58.22 after National-Oilwell Varco, Inc. opened with $2.6 drop in price. I jumped at the opportunity to buy in and the price has since gone down another $4 so I may need to average down here if I can spare some capital.

I am going to try to do a better job of writing about my purchases as they happen so I can share my experience in real time.

FRIP
Scottrade offers a Flexible Reinvestment Plan, where dividends from qualifying companies can be used to purchase shares in any other qualifying companies without any commission. So I take advantage of this every month and I usually use it to build up my positions in companies where my positions are lagging.
This month my dividends were used to purchase 5 shares of Kimco Realty Corporation (KIM). This feature has been on autopilot for a long time now so I need to evaluated where best to invest these small chunks of money.

Net Worth
Net worth will always be a secondary goal for me with generating passive income being my primary goal. But net worth is something I have started tracking. Given how much of my net worth is in stocks, my net worth will have a tendency to fluctuate frequently with the market but hopefully my net worth continue an overall upward trend over time.
Assets:
   - 401k:                   $73,180
   - Investments:        $65,756
   - Cash:                   $8,516
Liabilities
   - Student Loan 2:  $6,866
   - Car Loan:           $8,909
NETWORTH:       $131,678 up almost 10% from last month, partially to the inclusion of cash...

Current Portfolio:


SymbolSharesSymbolShares
VHGEX173.82JNJ17
VWIGX177.917KIM77
VTRIX110.62KMI104
AFL57.08KO36
BBY1MAT59
BNS36MRK43
CIM68NOV35
CVX15OHI65
DLR74SNE10
GE86SPY10
HCP56T103
HP34TGT31
INTC94VZ30
IYY20WFC48


Well, this is a pretty brief post but I kind of like that is direct, short, and simple. But overall it was a good month for my portfolio (two new additions) and my net worth.

How about you? Any good purchases in January?

Photo Credit: freedigitalphotos.net



No comments:

Post a Comment